Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mod Pop QAL Color Choices

UPDATE: Apparently my Gmail account is sending spam to several of you.  Please do not open it unless there is a relevant current subject line and you are sure it is the real me sending the email.
I am so sorry for spamming you.  I have taken several measures to ensure it does not continue.  The one change you will notice is to leave a comment you will now have to have a Gmail or Open ID account.  I am sorry to loose those of you who do not have these accounts, but I just can not go on spamming you guys.  
If you continue to get spammy emails from me, please tell me.  Without that, I have no idea I am sending out the nasties.  And now onto our regularly scheduled blog post....

It took me about 30 seconds to join in with Leanne's Mod Pop QAL. I have never joined in a QAL before, mostly because they came at the wrong time for me personally.  There are several I regret missing.  This, however, I could not let pass.  

You see, I want to make a quilt as a Christmas gift for a very special fella.  I have been struggling with the idea of a man-quilt, as I am sure you all have at some point.  That was until I saw this:

Shamelessly stolen from Leanne of She Can Quilt
Perfect.  The added bonus of joining in with the QAL is that Leanne will help me get over my fear of piecing curves AND she has a schedule that will allow me to finish before the holidays.  To really ensure I stick to the schedule and don't embarrass myself, Fluffy Sheep Quilting (the shop) has become one of the QAL sponsors!  I'm totally on board.  No messing up now.

This week's homework was to choose our fabrics.  I've pulled a few that might work.  Try to imagine the white in Leanne's quilt replaced with a Kona Ash in combination with this: 


I took out the lighter colored fabrics at the top of the pile as they hurt my eyes when the sun came in the window.  Maybe, being in Ireland, I am just not that used to the sun.  Possibly.  Anyway, here we are without the lighter fabrics:


I like that.  Now what about just blues and purples?  Now we are getting somewhere I think.


What do you guys think?  Is there enough variety here?  I tend to go for medium and darks leaving out the lights.  But then, there will also be Kona Ash to brighten it up.  Any hints are welcome!

she can quilt

17 comments:

Sophie Belle Designs said...

Hi Cindy, that quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I too agree that it does suit a man! you know what I mean, it is hard trying to find a suitable man+quilt equation. I actually prefer the second to last pick, but hey what do I know. The bottom one is lovely too. :) x

Lynne said...

I think I'd put a small amount of the green back. But it's your quilt!

It's a great design, isn't it? I've been watching its progress from quilt, to testing, to publication with a great deal of interest but am not ready to sew curves yet!

Susan said...

I tend to agree with the others- I think a little sparkle of green (or hot pink?) would be how I would approach it! Although pink is not going to do it for a male! Good luck with your final decision!

Gemma said...

I prefer the second selection.

Isisjem said...

I like the middle selection. I like those deep greeny colours in with the purples and blues. They give a bit of extra interest.

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I have to agree... Put the green back and I am thinking the ash might be a bit too light for the background. I of course I am struggling just a touch with mine. I am posting later today.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous picks my dear, but honestly, put the greens back in! They look perfect.

cheeky monkey said...

I can't wait which bundle you will use. I love the pattern. It looks amazing but I am to scared of curves!

mammafairy said...

I think I would go with your first pick! I love those fresh greens you have in there. Whichever you go with wil look stunning.

Leanne said...

You know that you can start with that beautiful last stack and add a bit later if it seems that you need something more. I think that this is going to be a wonderful quilt.

Cindy Sharp said...

I liked the first pick the best....the greens add a bit of sparkle...like the bubbles in champaign!

It is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I'd go for the top half of the first pile, sorry ;)

Katy Cameron said...

Option #3 looks great to me! Isn't it handy having a fabric shop you can choose from :oD

Cherie said...

Some great fabric choices there! I like the slightly darker shades without the green looks good. Not sure on those exact shades, maybe some darker greens would work better? =D

Anne said...

I quite liked the pile with the bright greens in it. Or maybe fuchsia pink ... but then not for a man, I suppose. Crumbs, wasn't I helpful? Not! :oD

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I really like it with some green in there too!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I think I prefer it without the darker greens but I like Leanne's suggestion of using the final selection and then adding more if you need to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Label Cloud

241 tote all heart appeal antique applique apron art quilt aurifil award baby quilt back background bag basket batik bee Bee Blessed Big Stitch Swap bird's nest birdie stitches birthday blankets of love block blog blogaversary blogger bundle bloglovin' BOM book brit bee brooch bundle bunting business card holder camping cathedral window chain piecing chaos charm pack charm squares charm swap chickens Christmas class clothes color commission community community quilt contest craft craft fair cross cross stitch Cúchulainn cushion design wall diaper Do.Good Stitches donation double wedding ring drawing dress eclipse election electronica embroicery embroidery eraser stamp exhibit fab fabric fabric tape facebook FAL farmers journal fat eight fat quarter fat quarterly feature festival of quilts film finish finish along flag flickr flying geese FMQ FNSI frame Free Motion Friday free motion quilting friends fugly Galway Galway Now gift giveaway goal goals goodie goodie swap granny mania granny squares graph guest blog guild hand puppet hand quilting hand sewing happy hat help hexagons hey girl hospital hot pad HST I Spy ICA improv innovation award inspiration interview invitation ipad ipad cover IPS IQFOI Irish chain Japanese key fob kind stitches knit knitting knitting and stitching kona lattice illusions laugh launch learning lecture Liberty linky list little star loops love on the blocks LQS Day magazine market medallion mennonite miniquilt mixer cover mod logs Mod Pop QAL modern blocks Modern Irish Bee modern irish quilters modern quilt guild modern quilt guild bee modern stitching Modern Stitching Bee monster mouthy stitches mug rug mural name name game name tag napkin needle book new york beauty newsletter Nieve notebook cover overlocker panel paper piecing patchwork pattern Pay it forward Peace Valley peanut butter perle cotton pezzy pizazz photograph PIF pillow pillowcase dress pin cushion pinwheel PJ placemat podcast polka dot pom pom portholes post pouch precut puffy pouch puppy purse QAL quilt quilt exhibit quilt frame quilt top quilter in the gap quilting Rainbow Charm Swap research retreat retroflower review sale sampler scarf science scrap scraps screen printing seams selvage sew and bee happy Sew Bee Blissful sewing machine sewing room shop significant sizzix sketch skirt solid spools stall stand star stargazing start your own stitched in color string stuffed super tote surprise swap swoon tablerunner teaching text thumb tack tiles top tote toy travel tree skirt tumbler tutorial twinkle twinkle twitter video vote walk wallet website win WIP wonky house yarn youtube zip

Total Number of Page Views