Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Swoon Along Block 1

As you know, I joined in the Swoon Along a few weeks back.  I didn't have much to show you as I have only been diligently cutting my DS FQs and Kona background fabric.  But finally things are starting to take shape!

I am trying to use two contrasting colors in each star, but what I am quickly realizing is that for the pattern to really pop I need two contrasting prints that really read as two contrasting colors.  I started with these two prints:


and made this star.  



Now I do like it and I will use it in the quilt, but I wish it has more definition and wasn't so busy.  I think it's the pink dotty print (one of my favorite DS prints!) that is making it so hard for my eyes to adjust.  I am starting to wish I had planned to incorporate more solids...but it's too late for that seeing as all of my FQs are already cut up!  Anyway, no regrets.  I am learning and moving ahead.

Block 2 and 3 are currently being pieced.  They're both blue and green blocks but I think they're less busy because the green print reads more as a solid.  Fingers crossed, anyway!




Lessons learned so far?  
1. Cut 4 inch pieces from each FQ instead of the 3 7/8 inch pieces in the pattern.  It enables you to square the pieces as you go.  If you're like me and pre-cut your 3 7/8 inch pieces, just sew a little to the center of the diagonal line you drew (do a small 1/4 inch seam) and you will be in great shape.
2. Incorporate solids - or dominating prints that read as a solid.
3. Lay two FQs on top of one another to cut them faster. That worked a treat and sliced my cutting time in half.
4. Once you get your brain around one block, try piecing 2 at the same time.  It doesn't take much longer than doing one if you chain piece.

Some ladies in the QAL Flickr group are already finished their tops! Some have great alternative uses of the pattern and some are expanding the 9 star to 20 star massive quilts. Do pop over to the group for a bit of fabric inspiration.  It's amazing what folks are creating.  I had better get focused fast and start piecing like mad just to keep up!

12 comments:

Nicky said...

Love your star and I'm sure it will be fine!

I never cut all my fabrics out for a quilt as I'd never have the confidence without seeing how it was coming together. My organic approach means I can dither about and change my mind and indeed the whole direction of a quilt! But it does take longer I guess? And ends up completely different!

Andee said...

Mine are cut but thanks for the tips! Your first swoon block looks great!

Canadian Abroad said...

You can't go wrong with DS. It will be a beautiful finish when you see all the blocks together.

Katy Cameron said...

It'll look fab when it's all together :o)

Sarah said...

oh well done, and with DS you are guaranteed it'll look awesome!

Annabella said...

It's going to be stunning - I have the pattern and think I might swoon when I'm back home. Thanks for the tips C :)

Judith, Belfast said...

Wow! I love it! Keep going! Jxo

Svetlana said...

beautiful!!! It will be one stunning quilt.

Leanne said...

I think it will be wonderful. If you want to add a solid or two consider making a couple of extra blocks with the left over FQs to be cushions. I like your block by the way, I expect it will feel less overpowering when it is quilted and washed.

Vicki said...

I very much agree with the sew more then one block at a time tip! I really like your color choices. Can't wait to see it finished.

Anonymous said...

looks like a lovely use of DS fabrics!! Loving your work so far :)
xx

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I worked on mine yesterday. This post reminded me that......I really need to post!!! Lol I love your block and I think when you sash them you will see them differently.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Label Cloud

241 tote all heart appeal antique applique apron art quilt aurifil award baby quilt back background bag basket batik bee Bee Blessed Big Stitch Swap bird's nest birdie stitches birthday blankets of love block blog blogaversary blogger bundle bloglovin' BOM book brit bee brooch bundle bunting business card holder camping cathedral window chain piecing chaos charm pack charm squares charm swap chickens Christmas class clothes color commission community community quilt contest craft craft fair cross cross stitch CĂșchulainn cushion design wall diaper Do.Good Stitches donation double wedding ring drawing dress eclipse election electronica embroicery embroidery eraser stamp exhibit fab fabric fabric tape facebook FAL farmers journal fat eight fat quarter fat quarterly feature festival of quilts film finish finish along flag flickr flying geese FMQ FNSI frame Free Motion Friday free motion quilting friends fugly Galway Galway Now gift giveaway goal goals goodie goodie swap granny mania granny squares graph guest blog guild hand puppet hand quilting hand sewing happy hat help hexagons hey girl hospital hot pad HST I Spy ICA improv innovation award inspiration interview invitation ipad ipad cover IPS IQFOI Irish chain Japanese key fob kind stitches knit knitting knitting and stitching kona lattice illusions laugh launch learning lecture Liberty linky list little star loops love on the blocks LQS Day magazine market medallion mennonite miniquilt mixer cover mod logs Mod Pop QAL modern blocks Modern Irish Bee modern irish quilters modern quilt guild modern quilt guild bee modern stitching Modern Stitching Bee monster mouthy stitches mug rug mural name name game name tag napkin needle book new york beauty newsletter Nieve notebook cover overlocker panel paper piecing patchwork pattern Pay it forward Peace Valley peanut butter perle cotton pezzy pizazz photograph PIF pillow pillowcase dress pin cushion pinwheel PJ placemat podcast polka dot pom pom portholes post pouch precut puffy pouch puppy purse QAL quilt quilt exhibit quilt frame quilt top quilter in the gap quilting Rainbow Charm Swap research retreat retroflower review sale sampler scarf science scrap scraps screen printing seams selvage sew and bee happy Sew Bee Blissful sewing machine sewing room shop significant sizzix sketch skirt solid spools stall stand star stargazing start your own stitched in color string stuffed super tote surprise swap swoon tablerunner teaching text thumb tack tiles top tote toy travel tree skirt tumbler tutorial twinkle twinkle twitter video vote walk wallet website win WIP wonky house yarn youtube zip

Total Number of Page Views